Monday, March 21, 2011

Event id 1219

These days I have been struggling with a Windows 2003 box giving me an error event 1219 each time I tried to logon via RDP. It was some kind of weird problem which wasn't present when I logged on the local console nor on other Windows XP workstations.

I really did not know what to do, so I even decided to reinstall it. Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem.

Today I have finally found a working solution to this annoying event:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1219
Date: 21/03/2011
Time: 15:19:20
User: N/A
Computer: servername
Description:
Logon rejected for domain\username. Unable to obtain Terminal Server User Configuration. Error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

The solution is pretty had to find, so I reckon it is a good idea to share it:
  • Oper the registry (Start/Run/Regedit)
  • Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
  • Add a new DWORD Value named IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors
  • Set its value to 1 decimal.
  • Close the registry (no need to restart the server)
Try now to RDP into the server and everything should work perfectly.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to comment if this post was useful!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. This info was very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip - worked perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip - worked great and didn't have to reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been searching for a solution for this issue for months. This worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you vary much its working i was facing this problem from long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The underlying problem seems to be the server is not able to find the domaincontroller to authenticate the user.
    After restarting the "DNS Client" in Services.msc, the "unavailable RPC"-error is fixed immediately.
    This "fix" however is temporary and the error wil come back in days, weeks, hours....
    I believe the above registry fix just supress the RPC-error so users can logon.
    So the error stays, but it's not bothering the users anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applied the above "IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors" fix.

    In the evening I tried get into the TS de "RPC"-problem was back. I did NOT get the RPC-popup, but during login I check for AD-groups and because the DC is not available my script which checks the Active Directory failed.

    So if you are not checking the AD the fix might work for you. As a "fix" I am searching for a program that wil identify the RPC-error within the eventlog and restart the "DNS Client"-Service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...