These days I have been struggling with a Windows 2003 box giving me an error event 1219 each time I tried to logon via RDP. It was some kind of weird problem which wasn't present when I logged on the local console nor on other Windows XP workstations.
I really did not know what to do, so I even decided to reinstall it. Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem.
Today I have finally found a working solution to this annoying event:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1219
Logon rejected for domain\username. Unable to obtain Terminal Server User Configuration. Error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
The solution is pretty had to find, so I reckon it is a good idea to share it:
- Oper the registry (Start/Run/Regedit)
- Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
- Add a new DWORD Value named IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors
- Set its value to 1 decimal.
- Close the registry (no need to restart the server)
Try now to RDP into the server and everything should work perfectly.
I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to comment if this post was useful!