Friday, December 3, 2010


In Windows 2008 R2, I have had problems with Server Manager or OOBE reporting Roles and Features as in error state after performing Windows Update. The unfortunate exception code shown is 0x800706BE.

Error as seen under Windows OOBE

Error as seen in Server Manager
To solve this problem the first step is...
to download the System Update Readiness Tool from Microsoft here. The filename for Windows 2008 R2 (which is x64 and not X86) is Windows6.1-KB947821-v8-x64.msu. What is this? Well, the System Update Readiness Tool has been devolped by Microsoft to detect inconsistencies in your OS installation. It's a very big package for what it does: 101 MB. Download it and move it to your faulting server, than run it by double-clicking on it. Remark that installing it and running it is the same. Once you have installed it just open the automatically generated report log: c:\windows\logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

You’ll get something like this:

Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7600.20822
Package Version 10.0
2010-12-03 11:43

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~ Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Seconds executed: 253
Found 1 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1

Unavailable repair files:

In this example it appears that 2 files from KB2360131 are unavailable inside %systemroot%\servicing\Packages. These files are:
  • Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~
Now that you know this, the second step is to download the full KB. The one for Win2008 R2 is here.

Its name is Windows6.1-KB2360131-x64.msu

The third step is a little bit more confusing, so I'll try to give you full detail of the procedure I am used to follow in this case.
  • Create a temporary working directory, c:\temp_packages
  • Move the above update in c:\temp_packages
  • Open an elevated command prompt (Right click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator')
  • Type cd c:\temp_packages
  • Type c:\temp_packages>wusa Windows6.1-KB2360131-x64.msu /extract:c:\temp_packages\KB2360131
  • Type c:\temp_packages>cd KB2360131
  • Type c:\temp_packages\KB2360131>mkdir files
Now verify that the MSU file has properly extracted. Issue a dir command and you should see 4 files:
  • Windows6.1-KB2360131-x64-pkgProperties.txt
  • Windows6.1-KB2360131-x64.xml
Now type:
  • expand -F:* files
This will expand 268 files in total inside your files folder under c:\temp_packages\KB2360131.

Now it comes the fourth step. You must give youself full access to c:\windows\servicing\Packages. Select Properties of c:\windows\servicing\Packages and under Security tab click on Advanced. On Owner tab click on Edit and change the owner from TrustedInstaller to your account and then click OK to return back to Packages Properties. Assign now full control to the Packages folder for your user account.

Fifth step:

  • copy Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~ c:\Windows\servicing\Packages
  • copy c:\Windows\servicing\Packages
Sixth step:

Rerun the update Windows6.1-KB947821-v8-x64.msu (double click on it, just like when installing) and check that the log file does says “No errors detected”.

Even better, just open OOBE and check that roles and services are correctly listed:

Everything back to normal
Seventh and last step:

Assign the Package permissions back to NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller after you finish with the updates.

I hope I haven't forgotten any step...  

Do not hesitate the leave a comment if you have found this solution useful for you!


  1. Great write up! This was exactly what all the forums and nonsense out there needs to look like. I would like to add that I struggled with the file permissions while copying and needed to change the permissions of the two files themselves. The permissions on the directory did not take because of the individual file permissions for some reason. But the 5 minutes I spent dealing with that was a fraction of the time I spent looking for a solution!!

  2. Thanks for your appreciation! And glad to know this helped you!

    For your issue with permissions on files, the procedure to follow is:
    - Take ownership of the parent folder "packages" and replace it on all subfolder
    - Do the same for permissions. Once you have given yourself full control, it is extremely important to push your new ACLs down the whole directory tree. Probably you forgot this last step, that's why you had to apply permissions manually to the aforementioned files.


  3. Hi
    Thanks a lot for this HowTo !! I had the same problem for the last 2 weeks on 2 servers with the Windows6.1-KB2286198-x64

    Checksur returned : Unavailable repair files:

    And I had a few probleme replacing the files : I had an access denied even with modifying the permissions on the files directly.

    Apparently they were used by the system, but I could rename them, I could then copy the new files (but I had to reboot)

    all is well now.

  4. Great Article. Thanks a lot for this. I search since many day how to correct my problem. This is the solution.
    Thanks a lot...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...